We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A huge selection of floral materials allows you to create unique compositions, planting cultures of different varieties and shades on the same territory. Ground cover perennials are especially popular. They are unpretentious, do not obscure other cultures. Due to the high decorativeness, plants are used on flower beds, along paths, for decorating alpine hills and rockeries. Perennial rugs are often placed around sculptures, fountains and other architectural forms.
Groundcover Garden Plants
The group of ground cover plants includes low-growing crops, which quickly develop long, surface shoots, spread out in a horizontal direction. During the season, one plant can cover up to 50 cm² of soil. In the process of growth, the stems intertwine and become like a solid green carpet. The height of the bushes does not exceed 20 cm.
For the garden, ground cover perennials blooming all summer are chosen. They completely fill the free space with decorative greenery and colorful inflorescences, which exempts from constant care of the site.
The benefits of creeping plants
Creeping plants have many advantages, unlike other species:
- All ground covers grow rapidly, weakening the viability of unnecessary weed grass.
- Perform the function of the lawn.
- Do not need special care, frequent pruning and top dressing.
- Under thick greens, moisture is retained, which provides a physical barrier to the drying of the earth.
- They do not require frequent replanting; some species can grow on poor, stony soils for a long time.
- They develop well on the sunny side and in the shade, as well as on dry and wetlands.
- Drought-resistant, resistant to diseases and pests.
- Prevent erosion and weathering of the soil.
- Landing of plants on hills and slopes prevents the formation of soil erosion.
- Suitable for growing in balcony containers and hanging baskets, combined with any landscape styles.
Species and their use
To make the garden design look noble, you need to correctly combine plant species. Ground cover garden crops are represented by different types. These include:
- Shrubby groundcover. The height of the bushes varies from 4 to 10 cm. These light, delicate plants conquer gardeners with elegant fireworks from small leaves. Low flower mounds are suitable for decorating stalls, flower beds, retaining walls and paved garden paths. The most common small-growing species are: gypsophila stalk, hostel saxifraga, masus, groundcover, some varieties of primrose, Covilla phlox.
- Evergreen ground cover perennials. Throughout the year, grassy cultures create picturesque paintings: Arabis Zünderman, tenacious Dixie, European ungulate, pachisander apical. Coniferous creeping specimens are popular for gardening: balsam fir, creeping spruce, cedar dwarf pine, juniper, cross-pair microbiota. In compositions, the evergreen soil protectors perform a leading batch. Small bushes located in the corners of the house look beautiful.
- Shade-Loving Groundbreakers. Usually used to decorate shaded areas of the garden. Without sunlight, a heicher grows well, the budra is ivy, the periwinkle is small. For the design of near-trunk circles under fruit trees, you can plant a clover, to dream ordinary. Creeping crops are not afraid of excessively wet areas.
- Flowering annuals. Look good in group plantings between larger perennials. Ground cover flowers are famous for their beautiful branched shoots: sanvitalia, bacopa, stunted lobelia, dorotheanthus, mesembryanthemum and others.
- Ground Shrubs. Most often they are planted on vast open spaces and slopes to strengthen the land cover. Shrub plants separate one section from another, draw up transitions between different cultures. Suitable for hedges, as well as the main plant. Bright representatives of creeping bushes: gorse keeled, gaulteria, mahonia, clematis short-tailed, common ivy, St. John's wort, Japanese skimmy.
Flower Design Examples
When choosing planting seeds you need take into account climatic conditions, terrain and land area. Large floral coverings with soft transitions made in landscape style look spectacular. A motley mixture of different plants, planted on a bed of strictly geometric shapes, has long been out of sync with current trends in garden art.
Rules for combining various types
To make the garden attractive and vibrant does not require special design skills. At the initial stage, difficulties may arise with the selection of plants. Many species after a short flowering lose their decorative effect. In this case, they have to be removed from the flowerbed. Re-planting will not give positive results, as new seedlings do not have time to bloom. Summer time will be lost, and the garden will remain scarce and uninteresting. To avoid such troubles, it is better to plant perennial groundcover plants that bloom all summer. The most popular: armeria, highlander, stonecrop (sedum), awl-shaped phloxes, blackhead, Indian dushenya, fuopsis, aerial.
An ideal option for the design of the territory are group plantings of 2–3 pillow-shaped perennials with annual and biennial plants, selected on the basis of a harmonious combination of shape and color, leaf size, flowering time. The front border of the flower bed should be decorative maximum time. To make the meadow bloom denser, cereal crops are planted between the plants.
Composition with roses will never lose relevance. There are many design variations with this royal flower. Stylish is an island of roses Bonica, Aspirin, ground red and with ornamental herbs, for example, sedge or sulfurbeard.
The most famous duet in the carpet glade is lobelia and alissum. The irresistible coloring of lobelia is complemented by the delicious honey aroma of alissum.
How to make a flowerbed layout
Preparation of the scheme will allow you to visually see the result. In the figure, you can check the combination of warm active tones (red, orange, yellow) and cold passive (blue, purple, green). The easiest way is to make a round flowerbed. This design does not require additional selection of crops for planting in the background.
- Before sowing, you need to consider the shape and size of the composition. This will help to calculate the flow rate of the flower mixture and in time to acquire the missing amount.
- Landing scheme is better to draw on paper. The corresponding colors mark each plant and the distance between them. Computer-aided design provides a broader view of the background and structure of the flower garden.
- Determine the location of the flowering meadow, identify the central area and the most favorable viewing points.
- It is important to achieve a clear outline, so foreground plants are planted in a wide stripe.
- Invented pattern is marked with sand.
- Plants are planted starting from the center.
- Properly constructed scheme will increase the service life of the flower garden. Reconstruction is carried out every 6-8 years.
Create white and blue delight
Landing is carried out from April to June. The flowering period is continuous - from July to September. Plants are sown alternately: a row of white flowers, then blue. Highly growing species are located deep in the composition. The massif is formed from the following plants:
- Statis Talisman blue-white;
- ground grass-clove white;
- bell of Pozharsky;
- viola horned sorbet;
- Aubrietta Blue Cascade;
- Stari Dreams;
- globularia Sharovnitsa heart-shaped;
- gutchinsia alpine;
- on the very edge of the bryozoans is awl-shaped.
Many silver-gray species have small and nondescript flowers. Therefore, to create the perfect composition, they are planted in the background, and the empty space is filled with ground cover plants. The most winning combination is a silver-pink gamut. Perennials for the composition are selected so that flowering lasts from June to September:
- stachis wool Marvel;
- Byzantine Cleanse;
- alternately - gypsophila rose and the soap dish Basil leaf pink lawn;
- thyme Cinderella;
- along the edge - the euphorbia myrtifolia.
In inclement weather, plants with silver foliage seem to illuminate the space. In the sun they shimmer with a noble metallic luster.
Bright yellow-orange meadow will give a lot of positive emotions. Sunny shades will certainly attract the attention of others. Creeping grass will help to dilute the yellow tone. Flowering is continuous, from May to October. To create a composition you will need:
- Viola Williams Mandarin Velor;
- flax perennial Sunny Bunny;
- allisum mountain Golden hills;
- Stonecrop Sultan;
- sedum caustic;
- creeping thyme.
To come up with an original garden decoration is a real art. Therefore, the embodiment of creative ideas is best to start with ground cover perennials. Growing rapidly, they will hide the mistakes and irregularities of the composition, smooth out color transitions. Such flower beds will delight you with an airy and colorful blanket all summer.