Many gardeners face the same situation every fall. There are still a lot of green tomatoes in the garden, but the coming cold does not allow them to ripen completely. What to do with the harvest? Of course, we will not throw anything away. After all, you can cook wonderful caviar from unripe tomatoes. In this article, we will learn how to cook this dish quickly and deliciously.
How to prepare caviar from green tomatoes
The most important thing is to choose the right ingredients. The first step is to focus on the tomatoes themselves. Vegetables should be firm with thick skin. Such fruits can be harvested while the bushes have not yet dried up. You should also inspect the inside of the fruit. For this, the tomatoes are cut and the degree of pulp density is determined.
Attention! Crumpled and damaged tomatoes are not suitable for cooking caviar. A large amount of juice will negatively affect the taste of the dish.
Bitterness may be present in green fruits, which indicates the content of solanine. This poisonous substance is dangerous to human health and gives tomatoes a bitter taste. To remove the solanine, soak the tomatoes in salted water for a while. Also remember that only a green vegetable tastes bitter. Therefore, it is safer to take whitened or turned pink tomatoes for blanks.
The principle of caviar preparation is quite simple. You just need to fry the vegetables, and then stew them in a slow cooker or an ordinary cauldron. This process does not take much time and effort. The only thing is that you have to clean and cut all the necessary components.
In addition to the tomatoes themselves, caviar may contain garlic, onions, fresh carrots and young greens. Usually vegetables are fried in a pan separately, and then I transfer everything to a cauldron and stew. But there are other ways to prepare caviar.
Important! For a more pronounced taste, various spices are added to caviar from green tomatoes, as well as salt and sugar. Table vinegar is a preservative in recipes for such caviar.
Winter caviar from green tomatoes can also contain mayonnaise, zucchini, red beets, eggplant and bell peppers. Below we will look at a recipe for caviar from green tomatoes with peppers and zucchini. We are sure that such a snack will not leave you indifferent.
Lick your fingers caviar with green tomatoes and pepper
To prepare this blank for the winter, you should prepare the following components:
- unripe tomatoes - three kilograms;
- ground black pepper - five grams;
- sweet bell pepper - one kilogram;
- edible salt to taste;
- fresh carrots - one kilogram;
- table vinegar 9% - 100 milliliters;
- onions - half a kilogram;
- vegetable oil - 30 milliliters;
- granulated sugar - 100 grams.
The process of making caviar "Lick your fingers":
- The first step is to prepare the vegetables. Peel the onions and wash them under running water. We also clean and wash the carrots. Peel the bell peppers from the seeds and remove the core with a knife. Rinse the tomatoes thoroughly under water.
- Cut onions and carrots into small cubes. Peppers and tomatoes must be chopped using a blender or meat grinder.
- For stewing, we use a container with a thick bottom, otherwise the caviar will begin to stick. All prepared vegetables are laid out in a saucepan, sunflower oil is poured into it and black pepper and edible salt are added. If the mass seems too thick to you, you can pour a small amount of water (boiled) into the cauldron.
- The container is placed on the stove and boiled over low heat. After about an hour, granulated sugar and table vinegar are added to the mass. The caviar is boiled for another 15 minutes and the pan is removed from the heat. At this stage, you need to taste the preparation and add salt and other spices if necessary.
- Prepared jars should be thoroughly rinsed and sterilized in a convenient way. Metal lids should also be sterilized. The hot billet is poured into cans and immediately rolled up. Then the containers are turned over and wrapped in a warm blanket. The caviar prepared for the winter is transferred to a cool room after it has completely cooled down.
Attention! Green tomato caviar keeps well throughout the winter.
Caviar with green tomatoes and zucchini
Spicy Green Tomato and Zucchini Caviar is prepared with the following ingredients:
- green tomatoes - one and a half kilograms;
- apple cider vinegar - 100 milliliters;
- hot pepper - one pod;
- edible salt to taste;
- young zucchini - 1 kilogram;
- granulated sugar - 150 grams;
- horseradish root optional;
- vegetable oil - 100 milliliters;
- garlic - 0.3 kg;
- onions 500 grams.
- Unripe tomatoes are washed and cut into small pieces. Zucchini is peeled and grated on a coarse grater. Peel and chop the garlic and onions.
- All vegetables are placed in a cauldron, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and hot pepper are added to them. The mass is stirred and set aside to extract the juice.
- Then the pan is put on fire, brought to a boil and cooked for only ten minutes.
- Cooked caviar is poured into clean, sterilized jars. The containers are immediately sealed with sterilized metal lids. Next, the banks need to be turned over and covered with a warm blanket. After a day, the workpiece should cool completely. This means that it can be moved to the cellar for further storage in the winter.
This article describes step by step how to cook green tomato caviar. These recipes are made up of the simplest and most affordable foods. Therefore, everyone can prepare a similar delicacy for the winter. The amount of ingredients can be adjusted to your liking. Those who like it spicier can add more chili, or, conversely, reduce the amount. We are sure that such recipes will help you make wonderful savory snacks for the winter.