Outwardly, violin mushrooms are similar to milk mushrooms, both species are included in the category of conditionally edible. A lamellar mushroom with bitter milky juice is only suitable for pickling or pickling. Cooking violin mushrooms requires pre-processing, cold or hot processing is applied to them.
Features of cooking violins
All recipes for cooking squeaky mushrooms require long processing. Milky juice from fruit bodies is not only bitter, but also contains substances that are harmful to health. The violin is not suitable for frying or preparing first courses. Fruit bodies are tasteless and odorless, but in salty form they are no worse than milk mushrooms. They are stored for a long time, after soaking, you can cook any dish with a violin, the recipe for which includes salted mushrooms.
The product can be prepared for the winter in a glass container or in bulky containers, for example, in an enamel bucket, saucepan or wooden barrel.
The containers are pre-prepared:
- Wooden barrel, washed with a brush.
- So that during salting there are no gaps between the wooden planks, and the brine does not leak out, fill it with water and leave it for two days.
- Then the container is thoroughly washed with water and baking soda.
- They are treated with boiling water.
- Enamel dishes are cleaned with soda and poured over with boiling water.
- Glass jars must be sterilized.
Advice! Nylon or metal lids are boiled for 3 minutes before closing the cans.
Preparing violins for salting
The brought crop is immediately placed in cold water, since on the cuts and damaged areas the protruding milky juice turns green, and the mushrooms dry out and become brittle with prolonged exposure to air.
Then the fruiting bodies are processed:
- Remove the film from the top of the cap.
- The spore-bearing plates are cleaned with a knife, if they are left, then when salting, the fruit bodies turn out to be tough.
- The top layer is removed from the leg.
- Cut off the bottom.
- Remove areas damaged by insects.
The mushrooms are soaked in water, the volume of which is 3 times the number of violins. The liquid is changed twice a day, it does not allow turbidity and acidification of the water. If further processing is cold, the processed fruit bodies are soaked for at least 4-5 days.
For subsequent pickling, the squeaks are kept in water for 2-3 days, the remaining bitterness will go away after boiling. The containers are placed in a cool, shaded place. An indicator that the violin mushrooms are ready for salting will be the firmness and elasticity of the fruit bodies.
How to cook violins
A large number of processing recipes are offered. Large containers must be used. Cold salting of squeaks takes a little time and is less labor intensive. Fruit bodies are marinated in glass jars, recipes provide for preliminary boiling and boiling of the marinade.
You can first salt the squeaks, after the mushrooms are ready, they are laid out in glass containers and poured with marinade:
- salt with any of the selected recipes;
- after 30 days, the mushrooms are taken out. If there is no sour smell, do not rinse. If there are signs of souring, the mushrooms are thoroughly washed;
- tightly packed in jars, spices are not used, because violins get a spicy aroma when salted;
- prepare a marinade from sugar, vinegar and salt. A three-liter container will require 100 g of each ingredient;
- Pour the workpiece with boiling marinade, close with lids.
The product turns out to be tasty, it can be stored for a long time in a cellar. Below are a few recipes for pickling a violin (hot and cold).
How to salt violins
Small mushrooms are left intact, large fruiting bodies are cut into 4 parts. If desired, separate the leg from the cap, but this is not necessary.
Important! Use pure iodine-free salt.
For a recipe for salting squeaky mushrooms, take:
- horseradish root (1/4 part), you can use leaves - 1-2 pcs.;
- garlic - 2-3 cloves;
- peppercorns - 7-10 pcs.;
- dill umbrellas or seeds - 2 tsp;
- leaves of black currant, grapes, cherries - 2-3 leaves of each type;
- salt in the calculation of 30-50 g per 1 kg of mushrooms.
The soaked fruiting bodies are weighed to calculate the amount of salt.
- The bottom of the container is covered with leaves and salt is poured.
- The violins are stacked tightly so that there are as few voids as possible.
- Top with salt, spices and garlic.
- Horseradish leaf is torn into small pieces.
- Add dill and peppercorns.
Layer by layer, fill the container to the very top. Install a wooden shield in the form of a circle or a ceramic plate and weight. The workpiece is removed to a cool place. If the mushrooms are properly processed, after a day they will release juice, which will completely cover them. If there is not enough liquid, add water so that the fruit bodies are completely covered.
You can salt the violin hot, a set of required ingredients:
- mushrooms - 3 kg;
- salt - 100 g;
- black currant leaves - 30 pcs.
For the hot processing method, it is better to use glass containers.
- The leaves are divided into 2 parts, the bottom of the jar is closed with one.
- Lay the mushrooms in layers.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover the top with the second part of the leaves.
- Pour boiling water over.
- Closed with screw or nylon caps.
Mushrooms prepared according to the recipe can be consumed after 2-3 weeks.
How to pickle violins
For the marinade take:
- water - 1 l;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 1 tbsp. l .;
- carnation - 4 buds;
- black pepper (peas) - 10 pcs.;
- vinegar - 1 tbsp. l .;
- garlic - 3 teeth.
The spice set is designed for 2-2.5 kg of violins. Just this amount of product is required for a 3 liter jar.
Pickled violin recipe sequence:
- Put two pots of water on the fire.
- Put mushrooms and a little salt in one container, bring to a boil.
- Fruiting bodies are discarded in a colander, left until the liquid is completely drained.
- In another container, prepare the marinade, put all the ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Mushrooms are introduced and boiled for 20 minutes.
- The violins are placed in sterilized jars along with the broth.
- Roll up the lids, turn the containers over.
The workpiece is wrapped up and left to cool completely, then removed to a storage room.
You can pickle squeaks according to one more recipe. The cooking technology is the same as for the first recipe, it differs in a set of spices.
For the marinade you need:
- garlic - 4 teeth;
- young dill - 1 bunch;
- salt - 4 tsp;
- water - 1 l;
- tarragon - 1 branch;
- allspice seeds - 15 pcs.;
- horseradish root - 1 pc.
The violins in the container are laid out along with the boiling marinade.
Terms and conditions of storage of salted violins
The workpiece is stored in the basement or closet at a temperature of +50 C. The oppression is periodically washed with water with the addition of soda, mold must not be allowed. The salty product retains its taste for 6-8 months. Pickled blanks are suitable for use for more than a year. After opening the jar, the workpiece is stored in the refrigerator for no more than 3-4 days.
Cooking violin mushrooms involves preliminary soaking, since this species is characterized by the presence of bitterness. Mushrooms are used only for winter harvesting in the form of salted or pickled ones.