We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gardeners in many regions of Russia grow different varieties of garden strawberries, calling them strawberries. Today, thanks to the hard work of breeders in the world, there are a huge number of varieties. But it is this diversity that sometimes confuses gardeners. I want not just something new on the site, the main thing is that there is a result.
The varieties of breeders from Denmark are becoming more and more popular. One such plant is strawberry marshmallow. Believe me, we do not advertise garden strawberries, but simply state the facts: according to reviews and photographs sent by gardeners. It is, indeed, a large-fruited and fruitful variety of delicious aromatic berries.
Description and characteristics
Marshmallow strawberries are grown not only on private plots, but also on large farm plantations. Moreover, this super-early garden strawberry gives a rich harvest not only in the open field, but also in greenhouses.
- The bush is compact with pubescent emerald green leaves. They are large, with a slight corrugation. Petioles up to 10 cm long, erect. Strawberries produce many powerful flower stalks that can hold large quantities of berries. As stated in the description of the variety (this can also be seen in the photo), on one shoot there are at least 20 snow-white flowers, each of which, when tied, turns into a berry. What is not a marshmallow!
- The berries are crimson, shiny, stick to a strong stalk, so they never "drain". Fruits can be blunt, scalloped, or ribbed. The inner part has no voids, pale pink with minor white veins. The berries are sweet with a pronounced aroma.
- Strawberry Marshmallows, according to the description of the variety, photos and reviews of gardeners, have fruits of the same size throughout the season - from 20 to 35 grams. Some gardeners in the reviews indicate that the strawberries of the Zephyr variety have their own records, reaching 60 grams.
- Seed propagation of this variety is difficult. In the reviews, gardeners indicate that the maternal qualities of the variety are rarely preserved. Therefore, to obtain seedlings, the division of the bush and the rooting of the whiskers are used, which are enough for this strawberry variety. The first rosettes on the mustache are chosen from the most prolific plant.
Consider what attracts the plant to gardeners:
- Zephyr is not a remontant variety, but with proper agricultural technology it can bear fruit for a long time.
- Despite the juiciness, the fruits are highly transportable, do not wrinkle, do not flow.
- Fruiting begins already in the year of planting, as a rule, the first berries can be removed already at the end of May. If strawberries of the marshmallow variety are grown in a greenhouse, then ripening begins in early May. The yield is high, almost a kilogram of fragrant sweet berries can be removed from one bush.
- The variety is universal, suitable for fresh consumption, canning, compotes and freezing. The gardeners' comments regarding the Marshmallow strawberry variety are only positive.
Strawberries Marshmallow, judging by the characteristics, can be grown in regions of Russia, where in winter the thermometer drops below 35 degrees, if the winter is snowy. In order not to freeze the roots in the absence of snow, beds with Marshmallow strawberries need to be well covered.
Important! Plants are resistant to many strawberry diseases, including rot, powdery rose, and fusarium.
Growing Marshmallow strawberries is easy because they don't require much maintenance. The main thing is to follow agrotechnical rules.
- Priming. Garden strawberry Zephyr variety yields well on neutral soils. It is best to plant it after beets, onions, cabbage. The soil needs to be fertilized. You can use mineral fertilizers or organic matter. It depends on the gardener's preference. The soil should be loose, breathable.
- When to plant. Seedlings of the Zephyr variety are planted in the open ground in the second half of August, so that before wintering the strawberries gain strength and in the spring they will give them a rich harvest.
- When planting garden strawberries, a distance of 45 cm must be maintained. Row spacing for two-row planting is up to 60 cm. The seedling holes must be at least 25 cm deep. If you are using planting material with a closed system, shake off the soil and trim the long roots. When planting, arrange the roots so that they point down. To prevent the soil from drying out (it can withstand a short drought), immediately after planting strawberries of the Zephyr variety, mulching with straw or hay must be applied.
Watering strawberries, despite the drought resistance, should be done regularly, once a week is enough. When Marshmallows begin to form buds and ovaries, the need for water increases. With insufficient watering, you can not only lose part of the crop, but also get dryish small fruits.
If you water marshmallow strawberries in the usual way, you should avoid getting water on the leaves and fruits. It is harmful for them, diseases may appear. The best way to water is by installing a drip system. In this case, the plants will receive water on time and in the right amount. Take a look at the photo below to see how it looks in practice.
Since fruiting is abundant, strawberries draw out all the nutrients and trace elements from the soil. If you do not carry out timely fertilizing, the plant will be depleted, which will negatively affect the yield. The strawberry variety Marshmallow is fed twice a month. You can use ammonium nitrate, superphosphate, potassium salt, taking fertilizers in equal amounts.
Attention! Fertilizers containing chlorine are not recommended for feeding strawberries.
Weeding and loosening are time consuming processes, but they can be avoided by mulching the soil with hay, straw, or covering the beds with black film.
Strawberry Marshmallow is resistant to strawberry diseases, prevention will not hurt. In the spring, it is advisable to spray a garden bed with a 1% solution of copper sulfate. This will save you from diseases and some pests.
Attention! Processing during flowering and fruiting cannot be carried out.
Victor, 39 years old, Irkutsk region
When I planted garden strawberries of the Zephyr variety on the site, the neighbors in the country looked at me as if I were an eccentric, they did not believe in success. It's been 3 years now, my strawberry is growing and bears fruit successfully. The berries are delicious, aromatic. The wife refuses to use the fruit for jam, prepares compotes and freezes. Children in winter eat, lick their lips. You don't even need to add sugar to the berry. Of course, in order for the bushes to overwinter, you have to work hard in the fall.
Andrey, 46 years old, Alexandrov
Growing strawberries is my business. I have been engaged in culture for several years. I also have Zephyr variety. I can only say good things about him. This is a strawberry that will never let you down.
Yana, 34 years old, Bryansk
Started growing strawberries last year. I bought seedlings at a flower shop. To be honest, I didn't want to take Zephyr, although the seller praised him. I decided to take only 3 bushes for a sample. I now remember this man with gratitude. Even in the first year, the bushes pleased me with large, one to one, berries. I collected 2 kg of juicy appetizing berries from the plants. Some were eaten, and the rest of the berry was frozen. Yes, I have rooted the mustache and now I have not 3 bushes, but a lot. I am, in fact, a beginner in this business, but I succeeded, the main thing is desire.