Red currant with banana - at first glance, two incompatible products. But, as it turned out, this couple is capable of surprising with an unusual taste. Sour, but very healthy, red currants are perfectly complemented by sweet bananas. Children like this jam, unusual in texture and taste. And, which is especially pleasant for those with a sweet tooth, this sweetness contains a large amount of vitamins and microelements, which means that it is good for health (but in reasonable quantities).
What you need for cooking
In order to prepare this unusual type of dessert, you need a minimum of equipment, namely a saucepan. True, it has its own requirements. It is desirable that it be made of stainless steel or food steel, wide, but not too high. But everyone's favorite aluminum is not suitable for cooking sour berries. It is also advisable to purchase a wooden spoon with a long handle (not painted, but ordinary).
The set of products for cooking red currant and banana jam is obvious. But special attention is paid to the quality of the ingredients - rotten currants or spoiled bananas are not the best choice, especially if the sweet product will be stored for some time.
Banana Red Currant Jam Recipe
There is only one classic cooking recipe, there is nothing superfluous in it. For him you will need:
- 1 liter of red currant juice;
- 4 ripe bananas;
- 500 or 700 g of sugar.
Important! Red currants are almost 90% juice. Therefore, to obtain 1 liter of juice, you will need only 1.5-2.0 kg of berries.
Before you start making the jam, you need to rinse the berries, dry them slightly, spread them out on a paper towel, and sort them out.
- If fresh juice is not available, then it should be prepared using the tools available in the kitchen. The easiest way is to use a juicer. If not, you can use a food processor, blender, or meat grinder, and then separate the juicy part from the cake using a fine sieve. If these devices are not available, it is enough to boil red currant berries in a minimum amount of water, cool and squeeze through cheesecloth folded several times, or rub through a sieve.
- Ripe bananas, peel and puree. If you don't have a blender, the most affordable option is to mash with a fork first and then turn into a homogeneous mass using a potato grinder.
- Combine red currant juice and mashed banana in a saucepan. Add sugar (at first, you can pour a little more than half, and then in the process of taking samples, its amount can always be increased).
- Stir the mixture well so that the sugar is almost completely dissolved. This process will take some time, but it will help prevent the sugar from burning during the first cooking step.
- Put the pan on the fire, bring the mass to a boil with constant stirring, remove the foam.
- Then make the heat to a minimum, and stir occasionally, cook for about 40 minutes.
Important! If households love thick jam, then a mixture of red currants and bananas can be boiled for a longer time.
You can check for density as follows. Take a little sweet mass with a spoon and put it on a dry saucer. After a few minutes, when it has cooled down, tilt the saucer. If the jam stays on and does not roll - it thickens enough, you can turn it off.
Pour the finished product into pre-sterilized jars, seal tightly. Put the cans upside down on a blanket, and wrap the top with another one. Leave to cool completely.
Terms and conditions of storage
You need to store a sweet product only in a small glass container. Half-liter cans are best suited for these purposes, but liter cans can also be used. Jars with a sweet product, sealed with tin lids, can be stored even at room temperature, as long as the place is dark and dry. If the jars were closed with nylon lids, it is better to store them in the refrigerator, on the lower shelf.
Important! The tin lids of cans stored in a damp room must be greased with Vaseline so that they do not rust.
Seaming shelf life is 2 years. Under a nylon lid, the sweet product is not stored for long, it is advisable to use such jam before the beginning of spring.
Important! The thicker the jam, the longer it can be stored.
Red currant jam with banana can be called a real berry and fruit delicacy. Everything about it is good - taste, color, and relative ease of preparation. Even a novice housewife can cook such a wonderful product, and red currants with a banana will give an unforgettable combination of tastes.
Interesting jam! So we especially do not eat red currants, but here is such a recipe! Everything is easy and simple, and most importantly, healthy and tasty.
This is very unusual with bananas. New to me. I didn't even think that such a combination was possible in principle. I will definitely cook a treat every year.
I also did it for the first time, I really liked it. Now we will check how it will be stored. But there is also an option with an orange. I haven't tried it yet. The children really liked it, it was natural and tasty.