Planting and caring for a weigela in the Moscow region is of interest to many gardeners. Due to its decorativeness and unpretentiousness, as well as the variety of varieties, the shrub is very popular. Belongs to the Honeysuckle family. Weigel got its name from the German professor Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel, a chemist and botanist. There are more than 15 species of beautiful shrubs, some of which can be easily grown in the Moscow region.
Features of growing weigela in different regions
Weigela grows best in the climatic conditions of Central Asia. All 15 species are found there. The shrub blooms twice a season, therefore it is included in the composition of continuous flowering. Another feature is the difference in the color of the buds when changing the stage of opening. At first they are light, but as they open they become much brighter.
Varietal species are quite resistant to low temperatures thanks to the work of the breeder. Therefore, you can pick up weigela varieties that are suitable for the climate of the Moscow region. Of the 15 species, only 7 are grown by culture. They differ in height, requirements for temperature and soil indicators.
How to choose the right variety
When choosing a plant for the Moscow region, the main attention should be paid to its winter hardiness. It is inappropriate to cultivate heat-loving varieties of weigela in the Moscow region. Therefore, the variety should be maximally adapted to the climatic conditions of the region in which it is planned to grow weigela. When buying, be sure to pay attention to these parameters. For problem regions, it is important to plant frost-resistant species.
The best varieties of weigela for the Moscow region
According to gardeners' reviews, weigela varieties grow best in the Moscow region, which are unpretentious to soil conditions and tolerate winter cooling well. Suitable varieties of weigela for the Moscow region, their photos and names, are presented below:
- Middendorf. A low-growing variety, an adult weigela reaches 1.5 m. Differs in the duration of flowering. The period lasts a month. Loves moist peaty soil. The flowers are creamy or yellow, the leaves retain their color until mid-autumn. Requires shelter, otherwise the bush may suffer from frost.
- Early Weigela. Recognized by gardeners of the Moscow Region as the most beautiful species. The height of the varieties is slightly higher, from 1.5 m to 2.5 m. The bush is spreading, covered with buds at the end of May. It blooms very luxuriantly for 2 weeks. The bush is initially covered with purple buds, then their color changes to bright pink or purple. The foliage is bright green, but in the fall it takes on a brownish tint. It belongs to unpretentious species, therefore it is ubiquitous in the vastness of the Moscow region. Prefers open areas and tolerates soil diversity well. Weigela early does not require special skills when planting and leaving.
- Garden weigela. Small shrub - up to 1 m. A feature of the species is the extraordinary color of the flower - pink-carmine. The bush is completely covered with such beautiful flowers and takes the form of a flowering cap.
If you plant a suitable variety for the Moscow region, then the shrub will retain its shape and flowering for many years.
For the Leningrad region
Growers in this region should pay attention to hybrid varieties such as Candida shrubs with white flowers, Gustave Mallet with carmine red flowers, Sieboldii Argenteo-marginata with soft pinks and Eva Rathke with light carmine flowers, Lucifer with bright red flowers.
Weigela varieties for the middle lane
In the middle lane, gardeners prefer hybrid species. Weigela Middendorf and garden plant are also successfully growing in the region. They tolerate lower temperatures worse, but with proper shelter they winter well. In the summer they delight their owners with abundant flowering.
Growing weigela in the Moscow region, the Leningrad region and the middle lane
Weigela's adaptability to growing conditions is quite high. Therefore, almost throughout the entire territory of Russia, the plant is successfully cultivated. But for gardeners of the middle lane, the Leningrad region and the Moscow region, it is necessary to take into account some nuances. Without their observance, it will not work to grow a spectacular weigela in a harsh climate.
Planting in cool climates is recommended in the spring. This will save the seedlings from unpredictable weather and give them the opportunity to strengthen before the onset of frost.
The optimal time for the middle lane is mid or late March. Gardeners of the Moscow Region and the Leningrad Region should shift the dates to April. If weigela seedlings were purchased in the fall, then they should be dug in and covered.
Important! Weigela is added in an inclined position.
Site selection and soil preparation
The place in the Moscow region for the weigela is chosen carefully, taking into account all the subtleties. The plant loves light. The more abundantly it will be illuminated, the better the result. The second nuance is the absence of northerly winds. In case of gusts, flowers and leaves are quickly damaged. The shrub loses its decorative effect and can get sick. Therefore, planting and caring for a weigela in the Leningrad region requires a certain set of knowledge from gardeners. In this region, the plant is exposed to cold winds. It is good to find a place near the building wall on the south side.
The most suitable soil for weigela is loose and fertile. It is important not to allow it to be compacted or too wet. A soil mixture is prepared from sod land, sand and humus (1: 2: 2). According to the degree of acidity, the varieties prefer neutral soil.
According to reviews, the landing of weigels and care in the Moscow region almost do not differ from the areas of the middle lane. The process consists of several stages:
- Soil preparation. An especially important stage for areas of the Moscow region where the land does not meet the requirements of the plant. It is imperative to carry out liming on acidic soils.
- Preparing the seat. The pit is needed in the form of a cube with sides of 50 cm.A layer of drainage made of gravel or broken brick 15 cm thick is laid on the bottom.
- Seedling selection. The main attention is paid to the condition of the bark, branches and root system. It is best to purchase seedlings at the age of 3 years with a good clod of earth. In the photo, a weigela seedling before planting and subsequent care in the Moscow region.
- Preparing a nutrient mixture. The primer is mixed with superphosphate (60 g) and potassium salt (40 g).
- Root treatment with a growth stimulant. The procedure is performed according to the instructions for the drug.
- Planting a weigela seedling. The plant is placed on a mound, the roots are straightened, covered with soil and slightly compacted.
- Water the plant well and mulch the trunk circle. For mulch, gardeners of the Moscow region use sawdust or crushed bark. The radius of the mulch layer is at least 50 cm, the thickness is 10 cm.
When planting in groups in the Moscow region, the distance between low-growing varieties is maintained at about 1 m, for tall ones, 2 m will be needed.
When caring for a weigela, gardeners need to carry out traditional activities for plants - watering, feeding, pruning. For regions with a cool climate, preparation for winter is of particular importance so that the plant does not die. But before the onset of winter, the plant needs:
- Watering. Weigela is just a godsend for Moscow region gardeners in this matter. The shrub does not need regular watering. The main time spent on watering is spent in the first 2 years of growing. You will have to monitor the moisture content of the soil and water the seedlings as the soil dries. Then, mandatory watering is needed in the spring after a winter with little snow to ensure abundant flowering. The rest of the year - depending on weather conditions.
- Top dressing. The plant needs additional nutrition 2-3 times per season. Weigela responds well to both organic and mineral compositions. For the first time, gardeners of the Moscow region feed the bushes in early spring after the snow melts and the shelter has been removed. For this, a complex of urea (20 g), potassium salt (10 g), superphosphate (10 g) is used. You can replace the mixture with nitrophos, organic or Kemira-Lux. At the time of bud formation (early June), it is required to add double superphosphate (30 g) + potassium sulfate (30 g). Additionally, you can add 200 g of wood ash or Kemiru-lux under the weigela bush in the fall during the autumn digging. For good wintering, potash components are introduced.
- In addition to proper planting and caring for the weigela in the Moscow region, it is necessary to correctly trim the shrub. This important event begins in early spring. At this time, frozen, damaged or dry branches are removed. Mature bushes still need to form after flowering. Sick or poorly developed shoots or growing inward are removed, old branches are cut to well-developed buds. The formation of the crown is required once every 2-3 years. To do this, all shoots are shortened by 1/3 of the length.
Important! Autumn pruning of weigela in areas of the Moscow region is not recommended.
- Transfer. Required only for highly overgrown bushes or for changing locations. Transplant is performed only in the spring.
In order to prevent weigela diseases, you need to spray the bushes as a preventive measure.
A very popular variety in cool regions, weigela Alexander should be distinguished from the flowering species. It is an extraordinarily beautiful variety with raspberry flowers and purple leaves. It should be noted that in the Moscow region, planting and caring for Alexander's weigela does not differ from other varieties. It is important to remember that the bush requires shelter for the winter.
How to shelter for the winter
A competent shelter will make it easier for the shrubs to endure the winter months. Before that, it is imperative to comply with the requirements of agricultural technology so that the plant meets the cold with good immunity. Knowledge of how weigela winters in the middle lane will help to correctly hold the shelter. Frost-resistant varieties sometimes do not even require shelter, and thermophilic varieties very poorly tolerate low temperatures and can freeze out.
Shelter of weigela for the winter in the suburbs
The climate in the region is characterized by a sharp change in weather and a predominance of westerly winds. Covering activities begin in early November. Preparation of weigela for winter in the Moscow region begins with harvesting fallen leaves in order to prevent pests from overwintering. Then the gardeners of the Moscow region:
- Treat the near-stem part with a fungicide.
- They proceed to loosening the soil around the trunk and hilling it. The mound should be about 20 cm.
- The branches are bent to the ground, having previously tied them and placing spruce branches under them. This is necessary so that the bark does not come into contact with the ground.
- On top, there is another layer of spruce branches and a plastic film that needs to be fixed.
It is important to fill in all the voids so that moisture does not get into them, then the wintering of the weigela in the Moscow region will pass without problems.
Weigela shelter methods for the winter in the Moscow region can be used in different ways, for example, as in the video:
Shelter of weigela for the winter in the middle lane
In these areas, the method of shelter depends on the climatic conditions. If the region is distinguished by warm, snowy winters, then loosening and hilling of the trunk will be enough. Additionally, weigela can be covered with foliage. If the climate is cooler and the winters are snowless, then you need to cover the shrub more carefully.
How to hide a weigela in the Leningrad region
Preparatory measures do not differ from other regions - foliage harvesting, loosening, fungicide treatment. But the Leningrad region is considered much colder. Therefore, you need to start in October, and simple shelter is not enough here.
- The bush is first spud.
- Then a frame is installed above it, which is covered with spunbond or lutrasil.
- Additionally, they are covered with a film to protect against moisture ingress.
- All the resulting voids are filled with spruce branches.
Shelter work in the Leningrad Region must be done efficiently so that the weigela can withstand the harsh winter well. If the bush is frozen, then in the spring it needs abundant watering.
Pests and diseases
Deciduous plants are necessarily visited by caterpillars, in hot months - by ticks, thrips. Depending on the number of parasites, you can use folk remedies (infusion of pepper or garlic) or chemical preparations ("Keltan").
In case of violations of agricultural technology and a lack of attention, the bush can get sick with gray rot, rust, spotting. Treatment is carried out with Bordeaux liquid and other copper-containing compounds. Preventive spring treatment with Topsin-M is considered the best way in the Moscow region.
Planting and caring for a weigela in the Moscow region requires a minimum of effort from the gardener. But the competent implementation of the measures will allow you to decorate the site for many years. Weigela perfectly decorates the lawn, goes well with conifers, in harmony with bulbous and primroses. The variety of varieties makes it possible to choose the one suitable for the climate.