We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Garlic of the Elephant variety is a type of Rocambol hairstyle, which has an exquisite taste and is successfully used by culinary experts in the preparation of various dishes. The white elephant is an unpretentious plant with high yield rates, for which vegetable growers appreciated it.
Breeding history of the variety
Rocambol was bred in the 19th century in the Balkans, from where it was brought to America in the 40s of the same century. Three varieties of garlic were bred from Rocambol, one of which is the White Elephant (Elephant) variety, which is a merit of the works of Belarusian breeders. Today, the White Elephant can grow in Asia, the North Caucasus, southern Europe and the Crimea.
Description of the variety
The white elephant is a non-shooting winter garlic that is a type of leek.
The main distinguishing features of the variety:
- the weight of the onion head is about 150 g;
- the color is white, the teeth on the cut are milky white;
- the plant does not form an arrow;
- has a high immunity to fusarium;
- not afraid of low temperatures;
- forms up to 8 cloves;
- has a semi-sharp garlic taste;
- the stem grows up to 1 m.
Despite the fact that the plant is not listed in the State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation, the White Elephant garlic variety is very popular among the people and even has several different names:
- snake bow;
- Lebanese, German, Egyptian, Spanish garlic;
- horse or elephant garlic;
The leaves and bulbs of the White Elephant have many vitamins, most of which are vitamins A and C, as well as useful substances:
- the antioxidant allicin;
- essential oil;
Important! You can eat not only garlic cloves, but also its ground shoots.
Garlic of the White Elephant variety helps the body to cope with some diseases, having a positive effect on immunity. In particular, garlic is capable of:
- eliminate pathologies caused by fungi and viruses;
- normalize blood flow in the vessels;
- strengthen the heart;
- improve digestion;
- eliminate skin diseases;
- strengthen hair and improve its growth;
- remove inflammation from the oral mucosa.
Important! If you plant the White Elephant in the spring, then in the first year it does not form teeth, therefore it is recommended to plant the culture in the autumn.
Winter garlic White elephant is distinguished by high yield rates. With proper care and cultivation for 1 sq. m of soil accounts for up to 3 kg of garlic, given that the weight of one head can reach 200 g.
The representative of this culture belongs to the varieties of medium ripeness, the total growing season is 110 - 120 days.
The yield of the White Elephant variety depends on several factors:
- Air temperature: the warmer the season, the larger the heads will grow;
- Humidity: garlic loves moisture, so the normal development of the plant is possible only if there is a sufficient amount of watering;
- Climatic conditions: in Asia, it is possible to grow garlic on an industrial scale, since the climate and soil composition is considered ideal for the White Elephant. If the variety is grown in Siberia, then the yield of the crop is slightly reduced, and the growing season is lengthened by 10 - 15 days;
- Soil quality: sandy loam or loamy soil is suitable for the White Elephant variety.
The white elephant, unlike Rocumball, is not afraid of frost. Therefore, it can be planted from mid-September to mid-October (depending on the planting region), and for the winter, the plants should be covered with a layer of mulch. In the northern regions, where the frosts are stronger, it is recommended to insulate the planting with spruce branches or a large layer of sawdust.
The White Elephant variety has good immunity to various diseases, including the most dangerous of them - Fusarium, which affects the bulbs. They form dark spots that look like rot. Fusarium affects many types of garlic, so it is important to remember that planting the White Elephant in the ground where the infected garlic grew is unacceptable.
Advantages and disadvantages
Each plant has its own advantages and disadvantages. The advantages that the White Elephant possesses include:
- unpretentiousness (climatic conditions, soil);
- high productivity;
- interesting taste - a mixture of garlic and onions;
- the presence of many useful trace elements and vitamins;
- the possibility of fresh consumption;
- beneficial effect on the state of the body.
Of the shortcomings, one can only single out the fact that the White Elephant garlic, under unfavorable growth conditions, can grow into a head with cloves only after 3 to 4 years.
It is also worth noting that the White Elephant, although not a typical representative of garlic, has some features associated with its use:
- the ability to cause an allergic reaction;
- with uncontrolled use, negatively affect the state of the gastrointestinal tract;
- contraindications for admission by people suffering from peptic ulcer and gastritis;
- with frequent fresh use, the ability to reduce visual acuity;
- provoke the manifestation of headaches and the development of migraines;
- threaten with risks when used by women expecting a child or nursing mothers, as well as by persons with pathologies of the gallbladder and kidneys.
Planting and leaving
The elephant garlic variety, the photo of which is impressive in its size, can even be planted by a novice gardener.
- First you need to prepare a garden bed, which is located from south to north. 3 weeks before planting, the soil is loosened, compost or humus (1 bucket per 1 sq. M) and 500 g of ash are added to it.
- Peel the garlic, choose the largest cloves and soak overnight in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. This procedure is carried out the day before planting.
- If the disembarkation is scheduled for autumn, then this must be done no later than mid-October. In spring, garlic is planted in mid-April - early May.
- The beds are formed at a certain interval - at least 30 cm.
- Garlic cloves are planted every 20 cm, planting seedlings to a depth of no more than 10 cm.
- In the fall, it is necessary to immediately mulch by covering the seedlings with a small layer of sawdust or peat.
For garlic to reach its optimal size, it must be properly cared for.
- Loosening of the soil should be done regularly, especially after prolonged rains. This avoids the formation of a crust on the soil.
- Weeding is carried out as weeds grow, which take away useful microelements from the plant.
- Watering is an important part of crop maintenance. The White Elephant variety loves moisture, so the plant needs regular watering. Particular attention should be paid to this point during the formation of heads and the formation of young shoots. It is better to take warm, settled water in order to reduce the risk of developing fungal diseases.
- Top dressing should be carried out 3 times - 15 days after the first shoots appear, and then once a month. Fertilizers containing nitrogen (solution of urea or ammonium nitrate) are best suited for the first feeding. Subsequent feeding is carried out with a solution of bird droppings or mullein, as well as nitroammophosphate.
Diseases and pests
Garlic of the White Elephant variety is resistant to diseases. But some pathologies can manifest themselves with improper care of the culture:
- Peronosporosis is powdery mildew that covers the aerial parts of the plant. After being affected by the disease, the garlic does not die, but its heads become infected, which prevents it from developing normally. In this regard, it is impossible to use contaminated garlic as a planting material.
- Yellow dwarfism - develops in the case when the reproduction of a plant is carried out for a long time with cloves. At the same time, the bulbs grow poorly and turn yellow.
- Onion fly, tobacco thrips and nematode are also dangerous pests that can destroy the plant during its development stage. To prevent insects from attacking garlic, it is important to follow the rules of watering, loosen the soil in a timely manner and prevent moisture from stagnating in the beds.
Garlic of the Elephant variety is an exotic type of garlic onion, which is loved by the inhabitants of the country for its taste, unpretentious care and high yield. In addition, the culture is distinguished by a large number of nutrients that have a beneficial effect on the human body.
Galina, 44 years old, Samara
The first time I saw a variety of garlic with this name was in the market with local grandmothers. The white elephant stood out favorably among other varieties, so I decided to test it on my site. I planted garlic in the fall, almost did not cover it. In the spring I realized that he was all up with an even brush, and, therefore, did not freeze out even with my negligence. During the harvest, I was extremely surprised that some of the fruits did not have cloves. As it turned out, the sun is very important for this variety of garlic, and my garden was located partially in the shade. The error was corrected the following year.
Valentina, 52 years old, Lipetsk
The white elephant is my favorite garlic, which was brought to me from Kazakhstan for the first time by my relatives. I always plant it before winter, cover it with sawdust. As a result, it turns out to collect a decent harvest, which is stored until spring right in the apartment under the bathroom. The first planting experience was not very successful only due to the fact that I did not know that it is better not to plant garlic of any kind in the place where potatoes grew. Therefore, the harvest that year disappointed us a little. In general, the White Elephant is the highlight of all our dishes, from salads to hot dishes.