We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Various techniques are used to preserve the beneficial properties of the autumn harvest for a long period. Different product categories require specific processing technologies. For example, not everyone can properly freeze sorrel in the freezer - this is a special process. There are classic options, original methods with their own storage conditions. Everyone can choose their own, as well as make a blank according to their individual taste.
Is it possible to freeze sorrel in the freezer
For many years people knew only 3 ways of harvesting for winter: conservation, use of salt, use of sugar. However, some of the nutrients were lost during such processing, and this had a strong effect - the product itself was spoiled, valuable qualities were wasted. It is known that sorrel contains:
- trace elements;
- fatty organic acids;
- essential amino acids.
It is the complex of these compounds that helps the human body to cope with severe chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. It stimulates the metabolic process, strengthens the immune system, and improves human performance. Also, the plant helps to improve the appearance, condition of the skin. Now it is used in various diets for weight loss.
Freezing sorrel is the best way to preserve all the properties of the grass. This is a young technology, the peculiarity of which is the use of fresh product harvested at the initial stage (the first 2 weeks after growing).
- speed, simplicity of technology, saving time and effort of housewives;
- preservation of not only all the properties, but also the taste characteristics of the plant;
- lack of unnecessary preservatives, thickeners and other harmful additives.
In addition, such a blank can be used immediately for preparing other dishes without additional preparation.
Attention! Sorrel is not recommended for use by pregnant women, people suffering from increased acidity of the body.
Preparatory work should be carried out immediately after harvesting sorrel from the beds. The best option is within the next 10 hours after harvesting the plant. So the greens will preserve everything you need.
You can choose any type of this plant: wild or cultivated, paying attention to the fact that the leaves must be fresh. The ideal choice is large leaves without dark spots, signs of decay. It is also important that the plant does not have arrows.
The algorithm is simple:
- Rinse the greens thoroughly. To do this, use a large container of water. The duration of the procedure is at least 1 hour. This is necessary for all the dirt to completely settle to the bottom of the tank.
- Cut large leaves into small pieces. It is important to do this to eliminate all the long, strong veins of the plant. Small leaves do not need to be crumbled.
- Greens should be boiled in a water bath with water at a temperature of at least 110 degrees (for 1 minute). If the sorrel darkens, you must immediately pull it out of the container. This procedure is necessary to remove those herbs that were invisible at the initial stage of preparation. Since the product darkens to olive due to the ongoing chemical reaction with chlorophyll, other plants will not change their color. They should also be removed.
- Put the herbs in a colander, drain off excess water.
Now you can freeze sorrel for the winter!
How to freeze sorrel in the freezer
There are different types of freezing:
- in pieces;
- mashed potatoes.
Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages.
How to freeze whole sorrel leaves
This method will come in handy if greens are to be used as an additional appetizer to main dishes.
You will need:
- plastic container.
Algorithm of actions:
- Carry out preliminary preparation with boiling sorrel in a water bath.
- Remove the herbs from the boiling water, put them to drain in a colander. Rinse gently under running water.
- Leave to drain for a few minutes.
- Put on a towel. Place the resulting sorrel leaves. Leave to dry for 30 minutes.
- After half an hour, turn the leaves on the other side. Leave to dry again. The duration is the same.
- Fold the product into a container, close tightly with a lid, put in the cold.
Such a frozen product should be placed in a cool dark place for 1 hour before use.
How to freeze chopped sorrel
This method can be used if the sour plant will be used for making salads or soups.
You will need:
- plastic bags;
- paper towel;
- Pre-prepare the greens: rinse using a bowl for this, if there is a large amount of harvest, boil, cool, dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
- Chop the bunches of the plant: first finely chop the leaves into strips with a knife using a cutting board, and then chop finely.
- Pack the resulting mass into packages. Tie each neatly so that there is no air access to the greenery. Send in the cold.
Defrosting is required before preparing salads. But for soups, you can use a frozen product immediately.
Portion cubes with water
Such a preparation will come in handy for regular use. Moreover, it can be used both for daily dietary recipes and for more high-calorie meals.
The process requires the following components:
- molds (silicone or plastic);
- Make preliminary preparations.
- Dry the herbs thoroughly, chop them.
- Pack the product into shapes. Pour in water (no more than 1 tablespoon for each mold). Send it out in the cold for a few hours.
- Remove the frozen product from the molds, put in a bowl. Put in the refrigerator.
It is ideal to use this form of frozen sorrel when preparing various sauces, pies or omelets.
Portion cubes with butter
This method is loved by many gourmets. These cubes are also used daily without first defrosting.
You will need:
- molds (silicone);
- Prepare herbs.
- Melt the butter by placing it in a warm place for several hours.
- Dry the plant, chop it, mix thoroughly with oil.
- The resulting mixture is packaged in forms, put into the freezer.
- Take out the cubes, put them on a bag, wrap them up, tie them up, put them in the refrigerator.
This frozen product can be used for appetizers, main courses, and warm salads.
This method is useful if the dimensions of the freezer are very small. And the frozen product itself can be used for a wide variety of recipes.
You need to prepare:
- a saucepan;
- molds or bags with fasteners.
- Prepare greens first.
- Dry and cut the product. Place the drain in a colander to remove any remaining water. Bring it to a boil in a water bath for a minute.
- Allow water to drain. Dry the herbs.
- Pack the mass either in molds or in bags. Close carefully.
- Remove in frost.
This frozen dish is best used for soups.
This method is suitable for those who plan to use such a plant for hot snacks.
You will need:
- Prepare the main ingredient.
- Transfer the leaves to a bowl and puree with a blender.
- Allow the mass to cool.
- Pack greens into molds.
- Place containers on a bag, wrap, tie, put in the freezer.
Later, without preliminary defrosting, you can use this form for completely different dishes: soups, hot snacks, salads, pies.
How to keep sorrel fresh in the refrigerator
The basic rules are pretty simple:
- It is important not to allow the air to come into contact with the greens, since they can calmly absorb foreign odors, which will affect its qualities. For this, containers with sorrel must be tightly closed.
- Do not be afraid that the product will darken after a few months. This is a normal process!
- When using frozen sorrel, the portion that will not be used must be put back into the freezer!
Advice! For easy recovery of frozen sorrel, you need to place the container with it under running hot water for a few seconds!
Where can you add blanks
Frozen sorrel is used for a wide variety of recipes:
- hot snacks and main courses;
- sauces, dressings and side dishes;
- dietary meals;
- drinks (smoothies and soft drinks).
In some cases, defrosting is required before use. The procurement technology must be followed precisely.
In the freezer itself, this plant should be stored for no more than 3 years. Further, the period depends on the storage conditions:
- refrigerator - 10-12 months;
- dark cool place - up to 8 months.
If greens are stored at room conditions, then humidity conditions must be observed. The optimal indicator is 60-70%. To achieve this parameter, you need to thoroughly ventilate the room.
Sunlight can also lead to the loss of the beneficial properties of the plant, as it activates side chemical processes.
Cannot be used after the expiration date! It is also not recommended to re-freeze the product, this will lead to the loss of useful properties.
You can freeze sorrel in a variety of ways. Each culinary specialist chooses a method according to his preferences and goals. To preserve all the taste, the necessary useful characteristics of the plant, it is important to observe the preparation technology, storage conditions, defrosting and use of the blanks.