Feeding garlic is an important process for growing a good, high-quality harvest. Fertilizers are applied throughout the entire growth period, in about 3 stages. To do this, use mineral, organic dressings, as well as folk remedies.
To increase the garlic yield, it must be properly fertilized.
Rules for processing garlic with fertilizers
Any plant needs feeding, and throughout the entire period of growth. Planting winter garlic is not an easy task, since it is important to calculate the timing correctly. If you plant it ahead of time, then it will germinate, and the shoots will die in winter, and if you do this late, then the seedlings will freeze even before rooting.
Attention! Winter means garlic planted in autumn, and spring garlic is planted in spring.
Winter garlic needs a neutral acidic soil, so it will need fertilizers after wintering in early spring, they consist of phosphorus and potassium. At the same time, on the eve of planting, in about 2 weeks, the soil is mixed with humus and potassium phosphate, you can add wood ash.
The spring species is also fertilized, starting from the moment of planting in loose soil. Later, it needs to be fed when the first leaves are there, and fertilize the garlic for the third time in early June.
When and how often to fertilize
Top dressing of winter garlic is carried out in three stages. The first time they do it on warm days. The procedure is necessary to maintain growth, as well as good landscaping, to avoid the white tips of the garlic in June. The second time the composition is introduced after 2 weeks. The third time to feed winter garlic should be in June.
Spring garlic is fertilized with the formation of the first leaves. The second procedure is required two weeks later. The third top dressing of summer garlic is carried out in June, and it is obligatory for the formed head. If you do this earlier, the fruits will be frail, all growth will go to the arrows and green parts of the plant.
How to feed winter garlic in May and early June
You need to feed garlic in May-June at the third stage of fertilization. In late spring, early summer, the bulb begins to form. This stage is called phosphoric, its essence lies in the fact that the cloves grow larger. There are three main meal options:
- Top dressing of garlic with ash in June. 200 g of ash is mixed with 10 l of water, add 1.5 tbsp. l. superphosphate. 5 liters of the mixture is used for 1 m2.
- The second option for processing garlic in June includes 2 tbsp. superphosphate in 10 liters of water. Consumption per 1 m2 of crop is 4-5 liters.
- The third option excludes chemicals, you need to dilute 1 glass of ash per 10 liters of water, consumption - 2 liters per 1 m2 of crop.
Top dressing is introduced starting from the onset of the growing season
Among mineral fertilizers, the following are distinguished:
- Urea. Recommended for spring feeding due to its high nitrogen content. 1 tbsp. urea is dissolved in 10 liters of water, fertilizer consumption per 1 m2 of crop is 3 liters.
- Ammonium nitrate. It is also a nitrogenous fertilizer suitable for spring feeding (every 3 weeks). Diluted in a ratio of 15 mg of substance per 10 liters of water, fertilizer consumption per 1 m2 of crop is 3 liters.
- Nitroammofosk. Consists of potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen, sulfur. It is used for two types of feeding - foliar and root. For foliar, mix 1 tbsp. fertilizer in 10 liters of water, for the root take 2 tbsp. l.
- Superphosphate with phosphorus content. It has a positive effect on the quality of the bulb, increases the shelf life. The mixture is prepared from 2 tbsp. fertilizers per 10 liters of water. For 1 m2 of soil, 5 liters of solution are consumed.
Ash is one of the main organic fertilizers that are beneficial for processing garlic. It feeds the plant with potassium and phosphorus. Ash is used in two ways:
- Just scatter over the beds.
- Make an infusion - dilute 0.5 liters of ash in 10 liters of water. Before applying fertilizer at the root, it is insisted for a day.
Organic fertilizers include yeast containing amino acids. The mixture consists of 200 g of raw yeast placed in 1 liter of water. The solution is insisted for a day, then another 9 liters of water are added. This is done by watering the garlic.
Use ammonia in the amount of 25 ml per 10 liters of water. The mixture is rich in nitrogen, but only feathers are treated with it. The solution is also suitable for watering, but it is used to treat the soil immediately before sowing the plant.
Herbal infusion is one of the folk fertilizers. The herb contains a lot of nitrogen and is easy to prepare. Green weeds are crushed and filled with water. The mixture is regularly stirred for 2 weeks, as a result, it should turn out to be transparent. The solution is used during the growing season, therefore, 1 liter of the mixture is diluted in a bucket of water.
Attention! It is worth considering the moisture content of the soil so as not to overflow the crop.
Yeast mixed with bread or sugar is also referred to as folk remedies. The package of the substance is stirred in 10 liters of water, 400 g of bread or sugar is added. You can only use a fresh mixture.
It is worth paying attention to the level of soil moisture so as not to overflow the beds.
How to feed spring garlic in June
Spring garlic has a controversial reputation. On the one hand, the risk of freezing is excluded, on the other hand, gardeners claim that there is more trouble with it.
In order for the harvest to be healthy, spring garlic in June needs to be fed per head, since the formation of the bulb has already begun. For this, phosphorus fertilization, potash fertilizers are used so that the bulb develops fully, and the yield is of high quality.
You can use mineral products that contain these elements. Superphosphate is introduced - for this, 100 g of granular fertilizer is poured into 1 liter of hot water and insisted for about 3 hours, stirring. Before use, the mixture is filtered, 150 ml of the solution is diluted in 10 liters of water and introduced at the root. 5 liters of fertilizer watered 1 m2 of soil.
Phosphorus and potash fertilizers can be replaced with ordinary ash, for which 1 glass is poured with 3 liters of hot water, stirred and left for a day. Strain the solution and pour in water so that the total amount of the mixture is 10 liters. Watering should be done in the grooves around the garden bed.
Garlic care in July
Winter garlic is presumably harvested in late summer, in July-August, spring garlic - in August-September. The main signs of ripening garlic:
- the lower leaves of the stem (possibly the stem) turn yellow and dry out;
- straight green arrows and open inflorescences;
- garlic without arrows has a dried root collar;
- dry husk, lilac-white (check on separately dug samples);
- lobules are formed, separate easily, but do not crumble.
Garlic is harvested carefully, without damaging the heads, do not pull out, but dig it out. Then they are dried on the street in the shade with the onion down.
You can store it in the basement, hanging in "braids"
Garlic dressing is intended to improve the quality of the crop. It is carried out on average three times during growth, using fertilizers rich in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. You can mix them yourself using organic material, or you can buy ready-made mineral compositions. In general, the feeding process is simple, and most importantly, effective.