Olga asks us the following question: "Is it possible to visually distinguish a dwarf tree seedling from an ordinary one? Which undersized trees are best planted in central Russia?"
Low-growing crops are increasingly popular with gardeners. We are ready to give some tips that will allow you to purchase the "right" plant.
How to understand that in front of you is a "dwarf" seedling
It just so happens that, instead of bonsai seedlings, unscrupulous sellers may try to sell wild seedlings. But there is a way that will help visually determine that you have a grafted seedling in front of you.
- Look for a vaccination site! At the place of vaccination should be a piece of ingrown polyethylene.
- Pay attention to the knee, the first from the root. In the wild, it has an incline of less than 45 degrees. The branches are inoculated precisely at the indicated angle.
- Inspect the root system. If you see seedlings on seed stocks, the root system will be skeletal - several roots 0.3-0.7 cm each, and at the ends there are fibrous processes. Dwarf rootstocks do not. The root system is only fibrous type, somewhat reminiscent of the roots of currants. The height should be at least 70 cm, the length of the roots should be at least 20 cm, the diameter of the stem should be from 1.5 cm.
How to plant apple tree seedlings correctly
What undersized trees take root in the middle lane
In central Russia, it is worth giving preference to coniferous dwarf trees.
It can be:
- Canadian or gray spruce, dwarf ordinary spruce - from 20 to 80 cm, Serbian spruce (up to 1.5 meters)
- Thuja (60 cm high)
- Mountain pine (dwarf forms up to 2 meters)
Dwarf pears are not recommended to be grown in Russia, but if you really want to, you should give preference to the variety "Memory of Yakovlev." It has very good winter hardiness. The variety is early, outstanding yield. The taste is sweet, there is a slight sourness.
With dwarf apple trees, things are better. Among the summer, it is worth highlighting the Melba variety. Fruiting begins in the third year. If there is enough light, light yellow stripes will appear on the fruits. The variety is known among gardeners due to its high productivity.
The variety "Candy" will also take root well. It was bred by Michurin. The hybrid dwarf is distinguished by excellent taste. The fruits ripen by the beginning of August. The peel has a dark green color, a rounded shape.
Of the autumn dwarf varieties, it is worth highlighting Zhigulevskoe. Fruiting occurs at 4 years. Fruits are large, do not fade even over time. The variety is not susceptible to pests and diseases, therefore it is considered the most viable of all the others.
You can learn about the advantages and disadvantages of the dwarf garden in the country.
The most popular winter variety is Grushevka of the Moscow Region. The plant is resistant to scab. Crops are stable and high. Fruiting occurs at 5 years. Another late variety is Bogatyr. Wood requires annual pruning. To taste, the fruits resemble Antonovka. Winter hardiness is good, not susceptible to pests. Variety "Arbat" is remarkable in that the fruits can be stored for up to 9 months. At first they knit, but after lying down, astringency goes away.